Houseboat Vacation – Packing Tips
Written by: Janette Marson
After you have decided to take your houseboat vacation on Lake Cumberland (the houseboat capital of the world), it is time to think about things like “what to pack.” Here are some packing tips from the experts ….
- Will you really be wearing more than a swim suit and shorts for most of the week? If you are coming during March – September, you don’t need to bring a lot of clothes. Trim the suitcase down.
- The weather on Lake Cumberland is fabulous, but in case of rain, bring your favorite games, books or movies. The water can be quite warm and the sun gets hot in the middle of the day, so you may want to cool off in the shade of your Lake Cumberland houseboat rental with a great book.
- Check to see if your Lake Cumberland houseboat rental has a docking station and what devices would be compatible, if your houseboating group is into music.
- Some Lake Cumberland houseboating marinas offer provisioning services where you order your food & they pack it onboard for you! This makes packing even easier and more stress free! If you like to drink wine, you might pack some plastic wine glasses. (Drinking out of plastic water glasses can, for some, ruin the experience.)
- Be sure to pack sun screen, shampoo, bath soap & other personal ammenities.
- Your Lake Cumberland houseboat rental will provide all your dishes, pots, pans, coffee maker, toaster, silverware, and some serving bowls. Spices for food & oils / cooking spray will not be provided however.
- There are spectacular views on Lake Cumberland that you will not want to miss, so be sure to bring a phone or camera to preserve the precious memories from your houseboat vacation on Lake Cumberland.
For additional information or tips, you can call the Tourism Office at (270) 866-4333. We are here Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm cst and are happy to help you in any way to make your houseboat vacation on Lake Cumberland, KY your “Best Vacation Ever!”